Natural freedivers- marine diving champions. Marine mammal adaptations- the sperm whale is the diving world champion of marine mammals.
The whale can stay under water for over 90 minutes and dive to depths of nearly 10,000 ft.
He had an extraordinary array of adaptations that allow it to dive so deep.
Our record holders:
• elephant seals – to 1500 meters, over 60 minutes, spend 90% of time at sea diving
• emperor penguins – up to 500 meters
• leatherback sea turtles - up to 1200 meters
• beaked whales – up to 2500 meters, staying down as long as 90 minutes
• sperm whales – up to 3200 meters